THE POSITION The City of Hayward is excited to announce its recruitment for the position of Communications Operator (Dispatcher).
$73,486.41 – $89,440.00 Annually
Plus excellent benefits package: See the 2018 Benefit Summary on the City’s Human Resources webpage for more details.
To operate a computer aided dispatch system receiving calls and dispatching police, fire or other City services.
This is a journey technical level position in which incumbents are expected to independently perform the full range of duties assigned. This class is distinguished from the Communications Supervisor in that the latter provides technical and functional supervision over assigned communication personnel. The Communications Center in the Support Services Division of the Hayward Police Department is responsible for dispatching both Police and Fire Services throughout the City of Hayward. The Hayward Police Department is one of 18 CALEA (Commission on Accreditation for Law Enforcement) accredited police departments in California and is committed to maintaining CALEA’s high standards and broadly recognized excellence. The Communications Center is frequently the first point of contact that a member of the public will have when requesting assistance from the City of Hayward. The information gathered by the communications operator during this contact is critical to a positive outcome. The Communications Center consists of six (6) stations with each communications operator assigned to a specific job.
Duties may include but are not limited to the following:
- Receives emergency and non-emergency calls from the public, private companies and other jurisdictions.
- Dispatches police and fire personnel or other City services in response to such calls.
- Relays emergency and non-emergency information to public safety personnel in the field.
- Relays information to other agencies as required.
- Monitors multiple frequencies.
- Maintains accurate record of location and status of public safety units.
- Operates a manual dispatch system when necessary.
- Assists in relaying information during response to natural disasters.
- Performs related work as necessary.
JOB RELATED AND ESSENTIAL QUALIFICATIONS Knowledge of:
- English usage, including comprehension and grammar.
- Read and comprehend information and instructions.
- Learn to operate manual and computer aided radio and telephone equipment in dispatching public safety equipment and personnel.
- Perform several job tasks effectively under pressure for sustained periods of time.
- Memorize and retain information from a variety of sources.
- Interpret information from distraught, incoherent or angry callers and relay critical facts to appropriate emergency or nonemergency personnel.
- Assign priorities both to incoming calls and to the dispatch of calls for service.
- Speak clearly and concisely via radio, telephone and in person.
- Respond to requests for emergency and nonemergency services in a professional and courteous manner.
- Type accurately at a speed of 35 words per minute.
- Work various shifts, including day, swing and graveyard as well as weekends and holidays.
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships with those contacted in the course of work.
A complete job description and list of duties can be found at www.hayward-ca.gov.
EXPERIENCE AND EDUCATION
Any combination equivalent to experience and education that could likely provide the required knowledge and abilities is qualifying. A typical way to obtain the knowledge and abilities would be:
Experience: Two (2) years of heavy public contact experience while performing multiple tasks simultaneously. Public Safety dispatch experience is desirable.
Education: Equivalent to the completion of the twelfth (12th) grade.
Licenses and Certificates: Completion of the California Commission on Peace Officer Standards and Training (POST) Basic Public Safety Dispatcher course is highly desirable.
OTHER REQUIREMENTS Typing Certificate: A typing certificate with 35 net words per minute must accompany your application.
Two (2) years
Candidates must submit a completed City of Hayward job application and typing certificate, which fully describe the nature of their professional experience and qualifications.
Be sure to scan and attach a copy of your typing certificate to your on-line application; however certificates may also be emailed to email@example.com, no later than October 31, 2018.
Applications submitted without all required materials will not be considered.
Based on the information provided, those best qualified may be invited to the next phase of the process, which may include an oral, practical, and/or written examination.
Next Review – Wednesday, October 24, 2018
Typing Certificate Deadline – Wednesday, October 31, 2018
Pre-Background Questionnaire Survey – Thursday, November 8 – Sunday, November 18, 2018
*Written Examination (Post Dispatcher Test) – Week of December 10, 2018
Oral Panel Interviews – Week of January 21, 2019
Please note; these future dates are tentative and subject to change at the City’s discretion.
*Candidates must submit a completed job application and valid typing certificate as described in this bulletin to be reviewed.
Candidates may also provide a POST Dispatcher T-Score of 50 or above from within the last 12 months of the application date by no later than 15 days in advance of the written examination or participate in the City’s administration of the POST Dispatcher Test.
The examination process will result in a ranked eligible register of candidates for hiring consideration by the department.
Actual hire depends on success in the departmental selection process.
Candidates under final consideration for employment with the City should expect to undergo an employment background/reference check that may include, but is not limited to: employment history, confirmation of educational credentials and degrees, licenses including driver’s license, registrations, certificates, and other credentials as part of the appointment process. Some positions, depending on the nature of the work, also require a credit check and a review of Summary Criminal History obtained from the State Department of Justice through Live Scan Fingerprinting.
Applicants will be notified electronically via Government Jobs as to their status in the selection process. It is the responsibility of the applicant to ensure they can receive email notice from Neogov/Government Jobs and the City of Hayward.
Paper applications can be obtained by visiting the Human Resources Department at Hayward City Hall located at 777 B Street, Hayward, CA 94541. Office hours are Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.
Apply prior to the closing time of the job announcement and allow at least one (1) hour to submit your application if you are a new user to the system. Our on-line application system is provided by Government Jobs. If you have problems while applying online, please contact the Government Jobs Help Desk at (877) 204-4442.